Today is the 3rd Sunday of Lent. During the Mass this morning which was celebrated by Fr. Lawrence Ng, CDD, the RCIA candidates (now called the Elects) went through the first of a series of three scrutinies during this final period of purification and enlightenment. It is an intense preparation before they are accepted into the Catholic Church through Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Eucharist on Easter.
It is a time for the preacher (priest) to lead not only the candidates but also the whole gathered assembly into an ever deeper understanding of the mystery of Christ through the gospel message and to stimlate them to an inner conversion of heart.
Today's scrutiny consisted of exorcism, handing over of the Creed and praying for the candidates.
The handing over of the Creed signifies that official handing-on of the faith that is received from Christ through the apostles in the beginning. Creeds in themselves are summaries of the Catholic faith (12 articles).
- 1. I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
- 2. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
- 3. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
- 4. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
- 5. He descended into death. On the third day he rose again.
- 6. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
- 7. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
- 8. I believe in the Holy Spirit,
- 9. the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints,
- 10. the forgiveness of sins,
- 11. the resurrection of the body,
- 12. and the life everlasting.
今天是四旬期的第三个主日。成人慕道者（现称为侯洗者）进入了一个最后的净化及光照时期，以准备在复活节时，藉着入门圣事 - 圣洗 、坚振及圣体圣事，成为天主的孩子，进入天主教会团体。在今天的弥撒中，侯洗者完成了三个考核礼中的第一个考核。