Saturday, June 25, 2011

People met at random 随缘随意遇见

Went to mud-guard workshop this morning to rectify noisy bonnet of my Toyota Vios.

Liew, 42 years old, the hardworking owner, took just a few minutes and some adjustment to solve the problem.

After finishing the repair, he "consulted" me regarding the request of his son, who is in college, to buy a car ...... his son is staying near his college and relying on college shuttle van to go to for classes.

My God, the Liew whom used to call me "Ah Suk (uncle)", and I used to and still do call him " Sai Lo" ( in Cantonnese means small fellow") since his apprentice days 25 years ago, has a 20 years old son in college ....... time flew past really fast !!!

About his son's request to have a car to drive around, this is a common "problem" of many parents with teenage children.

He expressed his concern of a son having a car, driving around with girls ( "my son is very good looking ... like you..." - I liked it ), going places, neglecting study, extra expenses ....

When to give your children a car ..??? No one solution fits all !

I can only share my experience with him .... May be my children are in better position to enlighten him !



今早我去“马甲”厂修理我的 Vios 引擎盖震动及发出杂音的问题。

修理厂非常勤劳的东主阿刘 (42岁),用了数分钟,作出一些调整,问题就解决了。

修理完成后,阿刘向我“请教”有关他在学院的儿子,要求有一辆车的问题。。。他的儿子目前在八打灵一间学院上课,需要乘搭学院提供的交通工具,从住家到学院上课。

天啊,这位在二十五年前当学徒的时候,叫我“阿叔”,我叫他“细佬”(广东话,小家伙的意思)的阿刘,有一个20岁的儿子了!!时间真的是飞逝的很快!

有关他的儿子要求有一辆车的事,是所有父母要面对的问题。。。

他分享了内心的忧虑。。。儿子有车之后,到处溜,载女孩子逛街 (“我的儿子长的高大英俊,好像你一样。。很多女孩喜欢他。。” - 我听了当然高兴死了),学业不专心,额外开销等。。。

什么时候可以给孩子一辆车?。。这个问题没有一个完满的解决方案,而是因人而异,见仁见智的问题。

我只能和他分享我本身的经验,或者我的孩子是提供意见的更佳人选!

4 comments:

Adeline said...

Hehe. Yea, it's a sign of freedom to own a car but at the same time, I was also living at home, so everything was under control but I would have partied harder if I had a car and wasn't living at home :-) you should try Mei.. Haha.

Mei said...

Eh? What pushing the buck to me?! I was also staying at home. Anyway, if anyone is up to no good - car or no car they'll still be doing whatever they want to do. Just strike a deal with the son and set basic ground rules, that'll be good enough. Then again, I am such an awesome kid so it depends on each kid.

Simon Kajang said...

I should have given each one of you a car at the age of 15... so you can drive away from me far far far away....and let me enjoy my FREEDOM....

mei said...

Should have!! Too late but I want one soon. Hahaha